The long awaited first snow of the season has finally arrived. While the calendar still registers December 8 as the FALL season – the white stuff trumps calendar dates. It is officially winter, in Maryland.
In preparation for the winter season – this means:
- there is not a lot of daylight
- the sun – when it appears – is not very warm
- winds are from the north
- the “north” – means Canada
- everything is colder – from Canada
- freezing rain…snow…ice cause you to fall
- it’s cold and flu season
- everyone who has a cold or flu – shows up at indoor gyms
Situated next to a pile of wood (awaiting burn on the indoor wood stove) are 3 exercise stations. Stations 1 and 2 include an Elliptigo and Recumbent bicycle — on trainers. Station 3 is the slide-board.
The quickest way to ramp up your cardio – is to use the slide-board. While the recumbent bike works the high sections of your quads, and the Elliptigo gets your heart rate pumping – within 30 seconds the Slide board takes your workout to a whole new level.
The slide-board strengthens the adductors (inner thigh) and abductors (hips) by sliding with powerful, and graceful movements – from one length of the board to the next. For speed (inline or ice) skaters, this is an ideal sport specific workout – as the movement simulates the strength needed in the legs, and movement of the arms. For runners – the slide-board is not only a diversion from everyday pounding of pavement, but it strengthens the hip muscles using side to side motion.
So, as we exercise, in the cold, during the first snowfall of a Maryland winter, we discover:
- you can get warm if you exercise long enough
- it’s not snowing in the carport
- a cup of Joe is waiting when the workout is over
- being outdoors – despite the weather – is the best place to exercise